Thursday, June 18, 2009

Bus Stop Diaries #2

It is early afternoon. I’m sitting on the bus looking out the window. What am I looking at? Nothing.

The bus stops and a girl gets on the bus. My best guess is that she is fifteen years old. Her eight year old brother is right behind her. She puts a dollar in the fare box.

“I’ll need to see your student I.D.” says the bus driver firmly.

“I don’t have one,” replies the girl.

“Then you will have to pay adult fare.”

The girl is clearly not over eighteen. I’ve never seen a driver give a kid this much trouble.

“I don’t have enough,” the girl quietly responds.

“Then you will need to get off.”

“But I need to get back home! How am I supposed to get back home? My parents are at work?” Her voice is slowly developing a tone of panic.

“That’s not my problem. Get off the bus.”

“Can I get my dollar back?” the girl says, holding back tears.

“No refunds!”

The girl turns around and turns her little brother around and they step off of the bus.

As the driver pulls away, I look out the window. What am I looking at? A fifteen year old girl sitting on the curb with her little brother. She is crying.

1 comment:

  1. I feel for that girl and her brother. Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete