Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Four Seconds of Doubt (very short story)

This is my first attempt at writing fiction. I wrote this while waiting for English class to begin.


FOUR SECONDS OF DOUBT
By Paul George


He let his guard down. He wasn’t sure why. Perhaps it was the auditorium lights or the howling of the crowd. Really, though, he just let his arm drop. The first rule of boxing is to protect yourself at all times. He didn’t. Instead he welcomed his opponents right fist like a loving mother taking her child into her arms. He felt his legs turn to rubber and his body hit the floor. He looked up and saw the arena lights. The referee was counting “one...two...three.” He thought to himself how could I let myself fail? Maybe my dad was right when he said that I was inept at everything. My ex-wife was right, I fuck everything up. They are right, he thought. Just stay down. Don’t get up and it will all be over.

He knew there was nothing to go back to. His past was non-existent. All he had in life was now and the future. He didn’t want it to be over. He spent his whole life giving up, letting others tell him what to do. That wasn’t going to happen this time. Not today, he thought. He knew that, whether he won this fight or not, there would be other fights.

As the fighter started to get up, grabbing the ropes for balance, he could hear the referee count “seven!” As he came to his feet with determined resolution, he thought, I let my guard down. I’ll never let it down again. The boxer stood to his feet, the crowd cheering, and turned toward the center of the ring. I lack discipline. He stared into his opponents eyes, tucked his chin into his chest, and put his hands up to his face. And discipline is a vehicle for joy.

Copyright 2009 Paul George

No comments:

Post a Comment